Friday, March 6, 2009

Success Without Passion?

Dear Friend,

One of the key elements of The Way of the Passionate Warrior lifestyle is the discovery and embrace of your life's true purpose. I sincerely believe that if you have not settled on the purpose of your life, you won't feel like a success.

Some folks disagree with me. They argue that, although living life according to your life's purpose breeds passion, a person can "succeed" without that passion if they are sufficiently disciplined.

The problem with this argument is that it carries with it a different definition of success than I use. The Way of the Passionate Warrior encompasses, in fact, a combination of, 1) approaching life with passion and, 2) adopting a life of discipline and positive habits. So I agree that discipline plays a key role in achieving any desired end. However, I define success as more than simply completing a task. My definition of success encompasses the sense of personal fulfillment and satisfaction that I believe most people seek when they pursue "success." I mean, what's the point of making a million dollars if you are miserable nevertheless. And many millionaires are miserable.

With The Way of the Passionate Warrior, an individual can achieve both tangible, material success and live a happier, more fulfilling life. To me, that's the real meaning of success.

All the best,

Hugh

No comments:

Post a Comment